Monday, April 9, 2007

Reciever has a lot of depth

The Panthers are bringing back All-Big East receiver Derek Kinder, second year starter Oderick Turner, Cedric McGee, Marcel Pestano,and T.J. Porter. The latter two have mad such an impression in spring practice that Wannstedt said either could start for the team at WR.

"That's definitely a good feeling to know that you've got five guys capable of going in and playing," Aubrey Hill said.

Kinder is more of a possession guy and rarely beats anyone deep. Turner is a tall receiver with long arms and can really stretch the defense with his speed and height. Both however lack athleticness something both Pestano and Porter have.

"I think I can be the guy, but I'm not the only one with ability," Pestano said. "We've all got talent. We've all got different qualities."

It is great to see Porter starting to live up to his hype. He came into the fall last year as a highly touted WR out of high school and never really clicked with the coaching staff. He left the team for a few days last year and never felt comfortable so far from his home in Florida. Porter has changed a lot in a year and he is even willing to admit he feels more comfortable with his place on the team and mature now than a year ago.

"It's just growing up," Porter said. "When I first got here, I was still a kid, just a little mama's boy, used to my mom doing everything for me. I'm out in the real world. I realize that now. I can't wait for my mom to do everything for me."

The competition for playing time at receiver should be great to watch in the fall. Even if neither of these guys beat out Kinder or Turner for the starting positions, it will at the very least push them to be that much better.

No comments: