Monday, April 9, 2007

Safeties leaving a good impression

Last year Pitt ranked 107th in defensive rushing yards a game. A lot of that had to do with a small line and slow LB's. Some of it also had to do with the fact that we never really had good hitting safeties who could come up to the line and make a solid hit. It looks like that is changing this year at least in Spring camp and it is a god sign that we have some safeties who can hit

"I think things are going pretty good for us right now,'' fifth-year senior strong safety Mike Phillips said. "Everybody's getting on the same page in the secondary and on the overall defense, too.

That can only help the run defense. It will help take some pressure off the corners and the young LB's. Eric Thatcher a Junior free safety will probably hold the one starting safety position while Mike Phillips and Elijah Fields should battle for the last safety spot. Phillips has said that he is 100% healthy after breaking his ankle 2 years ago and is finally looking like himself again.

"Last year, I was saying in my head that I was back at 100 percent, but I really wasn't,'' Phillips said. "I really never got over that hump, but I feel real good right now. And I think it should be even better when the season starts.''

Fields is more athletic and is a gifted athlete but he has missed a lot of spring practice due to his suspension. It looks like Phillips is the front runner here but the battle probably wont start until in the fall.

No comments: